Admittedly this is a testosterone-fueled argument, which probably doesn't belong in a discussion of sexual harassment, but I think it makes plain the differences in the different things that different politicians have been accused of. At least, it may make sense to men. I hope women can at least be amused at our antics.
It goes like this: imagine the victim was your daughter.
If my daughter were 25, and Al Franken appeared in a photo pretending to grab her boob, I'd want to sock him in the face. (Probably wouldn't, but I'd feel the urge.) However, if Al Franken apologized to her the way he did apologize, I'd probably settle for a stern look and an admonition that he'd better mean it.
If my daughter were 22, and John Conyers propositioned her, in his underwear, then fired her for saying no, I don't know that one punch would be sufficiently satisfying. I think I'd want to pummel him bloody. Except I'd probably not, because at his age I'd be afraid of killing him.
If my daughter were 14, and Roy Moore did what he did to another 14 year-old, I don't know that pummeling would be satisfying. I think I'd really want to use my battle-ready reproduction viking broadsword. Even though I probably wouldn't, on the argument that it would be a hell of a time for my daughter to have her father get 25 to life.
I think it's a pretty handy scale. Donald Trump? Pummel. Harvey Weinstein? Broadsword. Gets the point across nicely.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment