Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Improved Financial Software

Some time ago, I posted how I had switched from Quicken to Gnucash. Following a computer crash in which I lost all my old data, I decided it was time to switch again. The main problem with Gnucash was its refusal to total budget items, which made budgeting a difficult procedure, which made me not do it.

Now I use Moneydance. It isn't free, unfortunately. It's $50. But the upgrade from the previous version is free (nice!) and half-price from older versions. It can import most any financial software format, including the old-fashioned QIF, the newer, open-source OFX (Open Financial something), and the QFX (Quicken Financial something--also known as "Web-connect"). This flexibility allows it to be used with small banks and credit unions, and also with big banks that don't want to be bothered serving anyone other than Quicken and MS Money users. It doesn't expire. It works smoothly, and it totals budget items.

Speaking of serving other than Quicken and MS Money, when I ordered laser checks for my software last, I had to lie and tell them I was using Quicken. I couldn't order the checks without choosing a major software system--unless I wanted to pay a substantial premium for a "custom check design." The idiocy of this is that all small software companies that print checks include a feature to custom modify the printing to fit the check, because, of course, they can't pay-off the check makers to design the checks for their convenience. You'd think that the check-printers were in bed with the software companies, would you? And of course they are. Even if they don't share money, all corporations are bed fellows. They share a common goal: the advancement of profit and corporate control of markets.

No comments: