Sunday, August 26, 2007

Windows Vista Update

Windows also would not run Norton Security 2005.

My computer came preinstalled with a 30-day trial of Norton 2007, then asked me to purchase an upgrade for $60.

I tried it install the Norton I owned, with the subscription I had purchased. Not even Norton a year old can work. Norton asked for $50 to upgrade my software.

I attempted to load the free protection that came with my Verizon account. Verizon Yahoo security would not run. I tried to upgrade my Verizon Yahoo security: no upgrade was available, although Verizon would not say so, it simply left you to run in circles around their website.

Finally, following Consumer Reports 2006 recommendations on Antivirus software, I downloaded and installed the free Avast! Antivirus software, available at http://www.avast.com/, which does work, and doesn't cost a penny, even if you don't have an active, paid-for subscription.

Time spent: 1 & 1/2 hours.

This brings my total Windows Vista nightmare to a cost of $250 and a time investment of 6 hours, not counting the normal time for transferring files, plugging in peripherals, re-establishing email accounts, etc.

Anyone know of a class-action suit I could join?

No comments: